Wednesday, April 5, 2017

TTM Success - Cris Carpenter

Not to be confused with the St. Louis Cardinals pitcher of the mid to late 2000s, this Cris Carpenter was a Cardinal long before.  He also is the proud owner of the awesome mustache shown on the above 1989 Topps.  Yes, I had tons of Carpenter cards to choose from, but I had to put this 1989 Topps in the mix because, well, it kept popping up throughout my time collecting cards.  It never failed, it seemed, to pop up whenever I opened a pack of 1989 Topps.  I found it odd that the signature bubbled a bit on this card, as that usually doesn't happen on the older cards like this one.
I added quite a few other cards with the success.  I had to toss in a couple other Topps (the 1993 and 1990), an oddball Classic (1989) and the always awesome 1990 Donruss.  Thankfully, Panini has resurrected the 1990 Donruss design, albeit in a white border with black writing.

Carpenter (b. 1965, today is his birthday) played in the majors from 1988 to 1994 and 1996 for the Cardinals, Marlins, Rangers and Brewers.  He had a career record of 27-22 with 252 strike outs and an ERA of 3.91.

I mailed to him on March 2 and got the cards back on March 11, for a 9-day TAT.

No comments: