Saturday, May 13, 2017

TTM Success - Larry Haney

Here's a pretty cool TTM success that I waited quite a while to return.  Larry Haney is a former Oriole, which puts him on the priority list for TTM, but he also was a Seattle Pilot, so I definitely wanted to get his autograph on some cards.  The cards that I sent were all really cool cards, starting with the above 1981 The Franchise 66 Orioles.  I have no idea where I got this card, but it is the only one of these that I own, so it is a nice piece to add to the autograph album.  The post on the card looks awfully familiar...
A lot of folks complain about some instances where Topps recycles photos, etc.  I don't necessarily mind it, because it kind of adds some nuances to sets.  Take the two cards above.  The one on the left is a 1969 Topps, the one on the right is a 1968.  Haney wasn't a "switch catcher", the photos are reversed.  I thought this was really cool, and it was an accident that I had these two cards to get signed.  It just worked out that way.
Finally, here is a really cool action shot of Haney on a 1975 Topps.  I like all of the colors on this card, which makes it stand out.  Also, there are a lot of empty seats in that stadium.

Haney (b. 1942) played in the majors from 1966 to 1970 and 1972 to 1978 for the Orioles, Pilots, A's, Cardinals and Brewers.  He had 198 hits, 12 home runs and a .215 batting average.  He was a member of the 1966 Orioles and 1972-74 A's, all of which won the World Series, but his only appearance in the Fall Classic was for two games in 1974.

I mailed to Haney on November 15 and got the cards back on May 8, for a 174-day TAT.

No comments: