Friday, May 6, 2016

TTM Success - Carl Scheib

This might be one of the best-looking cards I have gotten signed TTM recently.  I picked this 1954 Topps Carl Scheib up from the antique shop in Columbia and it really turned out nice when it came back signed.  I like the old-school glove shown on the card, and it is also a Philadelphia Athletics card, so that was pretty awesome as well.  I like getting TTM successes from players on teams that no longer exist.

Scheib (b. 1927) played in the majors from 1943 to 1945 and 1947 to 1954 for the Philadelphia A's and the St. Louis Cardinals.  He broke into the majors during World War II at the age of 16 and ended his career at the age of 27 with a record of 45-65 with an ERA of 4.88 and 290 strike outs.

I mailed to Scheib on April 18 and got the card back on April 25 for a 7-day TAT.

Mr. Scheib also answered the questions I asked in my letter.  I asked what his biggest memory from his playeing days was, and he replied "Pitching in my first game at age 16."

He also said he still follows baseball by rooting for the Astros and Rangers.

No comments: