Sunday, May 15, 2016

TTM Success - Jack McKeon

I was able to add a really nice TTM success fairly quickly from former manager, Jack McKeon.  He lives in NC, so my request got to him pretty quickly.  I got the cards back 10 days after I sent them and was pretty happy with the results.

I have now added a few of these team cards with manager's signatures to my project.  They're a good way to get some managers who otherwise wouldn't have any cards, or they have cards in older sets that carry more of a premium.

I bought an assortment of 1970s cards from the Columbia antique shop and was able to use some of them in my TTM requests.  I bought them in bulk, so I got a great deal!
I was also able to find in one of my dime boxes, this 2006 McKeon.  I have very little 2006 remaining, since my box of extras tipped over when I moved.  The box fell out of the truck when I opened the door, and all of the cards spilled out into the curbside drain.  I wasn't too happy with that.  Luckily, I have still been able to find some of them, and have now gotten a few signed.  This one turned out nice, except the over-gloss caused the auto to bubble up a bit.

McKeon (b. 1930) managed from 1973 to 1975 with the Royals, twice for the A's between 1977 and 1978, for the Padres from 1988 to 1990, for the Reds from 1997 to 2000 and the Marlins from 2003 to 2005 and part of 2011.  He is best known for guiding the Marlins to the World Series Championship over the Yankees in 2003.

He had a career record of 1,051-990 for a winning percentage of .515.  I mailed to him on April 20 and got the cards back on April 30 for a 10-day TAT.

No comments: