Saturday, May 14, 2016

TTM Success - Bob Oldis

Some of the best cards to get signed are 1954 Topps, in my opinion.  The above Bob Oldis turned out really great.  I bought it because of the color, and I liked the glove shown on the card.  I have a decent collection of older gloves that my mom has picked up for me, and I always accept others.  I just like how they look.  Oldis's signature is quite modest, but fits nicely on the card.  It doesn't take away anything else from the card and will look really good in my album.
I also had to get this 1955 Topps because it featured Oldis in full catcher's gear (at least, it's supposed to be him, or an artist's rendering).  I like the "old school" gear and also the old Washington Senators logo and hat.

Oldis (b.1928) played in the majors from 1953 to 1955 and 1960 to 1963 for the Senators, Pirates and Phillies.  He had 56 hits, 1 home run and .237 batting average.  Oldis appeared in two games during the 1960 World Series, but didn't register a plate appearance.  No matter, the Pirates won that Series and Mr. Oldis has a ring to show for it.

I mailed to him on April 18 and got the cards back on April 30 for a 12-day TAT.

No comments: