Tuesday, May 3, 2016

TTM Success - Rick Wise

I got a TTM success on April 21 from former pitcher, Rick Wise.  I had been sitting on one of his cards to send out for quite a while (the 1975 Topps below), but was holding out until I found some more.  Then, when I looked through my vintage box, I was excited to see that I had him on the above 1968 Topps.  I wanted to make sure I had a few good successes on 1968 for my Topps Autograph Project, so I put this card aside as well.
Wise signs for a $5 per card fee, but has stated that he splits the money up among his grandkids, which I think is a cool idea.  The above 1975 Topps card was from my good friend, Max, so I was happy to see it come back signed.
Recently, when I was visiting my brother, Adam in Columbia, I stopped by the antique shop there and picked up a bunch of Topps cards ranging from 1976 to 1983.  In those boxes were a ton of guys I planned to send TTM to, including the above (left) 1982 Topps.  The 1980 (above right) came from my local card shop.  So, these Wise cards came from several different places.

Wise (b. 1945) played in the majors from 1964, 1966 to 1982 for the Phillies, Cardinals, Red Sox, Indians and Padres.  He had a career record of 188-181 with an ERA of 3.69 and 1,647 strike outs.  He was an All Star twice (1971 and 1973).  1975 was his best season when he went 19-12 with an ERA of 3.95 and 141 strike outs.  He finished 8th in the AL Cy Young voting that season, the only time he received votes for the award.  Wise appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot in 1988, but did not receive any votes.

I mailed to Wise on April 12 and got the cards back on April 21, for a 9-day TAT.

No comments: