Monday, August 9, 2021

2021 National Free Signer - Darrell Evans

Darrell Evans played for a long time, and has a ton of cards.  I brought every card I could find with me to the National, hoping I could get a few of them signed.  After some wheeling and dealing, and the acceptance of Wild Cards through his line, I got every single Evans card I brought signed.
I had someone I chatted with in line who used a ton of Wild Cards, in conjunction with what I had left over; he kept only 3 or 4 of my cards and gave the rest back to me.  I think he was just happy the Wild Cards didn't go to waste.
I was disappointed that I couldn't find my 1981 Topps of Evans (or a 1980); I think those had gone out on an unsuccessful TTM request.  I did finish the two 1972 Topps, a 1978, 1983, 1984 and 1986 (along with the other Donruss, Upper Deck and Fleer cards that I found).
I had even found the mini 1986 and 1988 Topps Leaders cards (one of which was floating around on my desk for who knows how long).

Evans was super nice, and very accommodating, especially since I had found so many of his vouchers in my travels at the show.  I was so glad I was able to get all of these cards signed and not have to put them back in my boxes.  I just hope I don't have to dig for his cards any time soon.

Evans (b. 1947) played in the majors from 1969 to 1989 for the Braves, Giants and Tigers.  He had 2,223 hits, 414 home runs and a .248 batting average.  He was the AL home run leader in 1985 with 40 home runs; he had also hit 41 in 1973.  His best MVP finish was 12th (1987; AL) and was an All Star in 1973.  He won the World Series with the Tigers in 1984.  He appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot in 1995, but only received 1.7% of the vote.

No comments: