Friday, August 6, 2021

2021 National Interruption - Meeting Mark Rolston at the Horror Con

Aliens is my all-time favorite movie, and most everyone who knows me knows this.  A while back, I met Jenette Goldstein, who plays Vasquez, my all-time favorite movie character.  Before meeting her, I commissioned a comic book artist, Chris McJunkin, to make some "baseball cards" of Vasquez, and also of Drake from Aliens.  I thought it would be cool to mash up the character of Drake, played by Mark Rolston with another character he played, Boggs Diamond from Shawshank Redemption.  Hence the quote on the card "I could be a friend to you".  

I had tried Rolston via TTM twice; the first one came back RTS, and the second is still out there somewhere.  I also gave a couple of the cards to Jenette when I met her; I think she may have forgotten where she put them.  She's a pretty busy person, of course.

So, I saw that Jenette was going to be at Flashback Weekend in Chicago, and she also tagged Rolston in the post.  I checked the lineup and the price, which is where I saw that Carol Locatell would be there, also.  It looked as if the con was designed especially for me, so I had to go.  I was down to my last two of these art cards, so I got the original 1/1 proof that McJunkin provided for me signed by Rolston.  I think it turned out great.  I also got my wife's Shawshank Redemption movie poster (that she has had framed since 1994) signed.  It was a pain hauling that thing all over the airport (twice).  The poster made it home, and she is super happy with it now that it is signed.

It was really cool meeting Rolston.  I got a selfie with him, as well.

I would recommend Flashback Weekend to anyone.  The entry was $40.00, and the autograph prices were pretty reasonable, especially for the folks I wanted to see who weren't usually at shows (that I've been to at least).