Saturday, August 14, 2021

2021 National Free Signer - Brian McRae

Brian McRae was one of the few free signers at the National this year who I hadn't gotten TTM, or at past Nationals.  He was pretty nice, and I had to ask him about his dad, Hal McRae.  I have needed Hal for my 87 set, but have struck out so far.  Brian said his dad doesn't sign much, and I left it at that.

The above 1993 Stadium Club turned out great.  When I had only one voucher, this was the card that I absolutely wanted to get signed.  It turned out really well, and I was able to find a few more vouchers, so I got some other cards signed as well.
I believe I am out of McRae cards in my boxes, now that I got all of these done.  I could be (and probably am) wrong, however.  He signed a 1991 Fleer, 1992 Pinnacle, 1991 Upper Deck and a 1992 Donruss.
Finally, I got this 1995 Leaf signed.  These cards were some of my favorites to open in the parking lot of the card shop back then with my mom.  They turn out really well when signed, and the set had some really great inserts.  The only drawback was that they, like most 90s cards, were over-glossed and tend to stick together and become bricked after a while.  Don't store your cards in an attic, boys and girls.

McRae (b. 1967) played in the majors from 1990 to 1999 for the Royals, Cubs, Mets, Rockies and Blue Jays.  He had 1,336 hits, 103 home runs and a .261 batting average.

No comments: