Saturday, August 7, 2021

2021 National - Phil Hughes Autographs

Since he retired, Phil Hughes has been very involved in the card collecting hobby.  His Youtube channel, Phils Pulls, is very popular, as is his Twitter account.  Hughes had a table set up at the National this year, and when Andrew and I found out that he was going to be there, I pulled a couple cards to bring along with me, just in case.

We ended up meeting Hughes, and I got him to sign two of the four cards that I brought; I gave the other two to Andrew, which he got signed.  Phil charged $15.00/card, which wasn't a problem for me.  I figured it was so he could keep the lines small around his table.

The above 2007 Topps Turkey Red chrome turned out great.  I was glad I was able to find that one and bring it along.  It is numbered 529/999.
This 2008 Bowman blue parallel is  numbered 279/500 and also turned out well.

Hughes (b. 1986) played in the majors from 2007 to 2018 for the Yankees, Twins and Padres.  He had a record of 88-79 with 1,040 strike outs and a 4.52 ERA.  He was an All Star in 2010, and his best Cy Young Award finish was 7th in 2014.  He won the World Series with the Yankees in 2009.

1 comment:

Jafronius said...

I didn't know Phil's Pulls is Phil Hughes. I've seen several of his videos; kudos to him not advertising it.