Saturday, August 14, 2021

Another Meeting With Johnny Bench and Doug Flynn

The annual Hope for the Warriors golf tournament is this weekend, and tonight was the Mad Boar Block Party in Wallace, NC, where Johnny Bench and Doug Flynn come out every year to support soldiers in need.  This was my third time attending the event, and I came away with a good many signed cards, and a few more Bench baseballs.

I found the above 2021 Topps Stadium Club card at the National, having seen it on Twitter the day the set came out.  I saw it and knew that would be one of the cards I brought with me to the event.  If I got no other cards signed, I wanted this one.  It was the only Bench card in the entire box I searched through at the show, but I only needed one.  It turned out great, and I was glad I was able to get it signed.
I also got this 2020 Topps Decades' Best chrome card signed.  The signature didn't show up too well on the scan, but it definitely looks sharp.
I also got an assortment of Bench cards signed that I had been collecting as the year went on.  I pulled a ton from the boxes I got from the former LCS, and also took some from my good friend, Max.  I also got a few signed for him.  I took a consignment for my friend, Cal, and got him hooked up, as well.
Either Max, or my friend Gerard, had sent me a bunch of Doug Flynn cards a while back, and I went ahead and got all 11 of my cards signed for a donation to the cause.  Flynn is super nice, and I always am glad to chat with him at this event.
I had a lot of duplicates left over of Flynn, so I will pass them out to a few friends who have helped along the way.

The Hope for the Warriors golf tournament is every August in Wallace, so you should make plans to come out and show them some support.  They're a class group, and I have enjoyed the Mad Boar Block Party each time I have gone.

No comments: