Wednesday, August 11, 2021

2021 National Pickup - Marvin Miller Signed Baseball

When Marvin Miller was finally elected to the Hall of Fame, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a baseball that had been signed by him because I had tried him TTM in the past and was rejected.  He passed away before he was enshrined, and I was able to find a nice baseball that had been signed by him at this year's show for a good price.

Miller (b. 1917 - d. 2012) was the executive director of the MLB Players Association from 1966 to 1982, and a key figure in baseball due to his ushering in free agency.  Like it or not, his influence on the MLBPA changed baseball forever, and abolished the reserve clause which bound players to teams for the entirety of their careers.

After 7 failed attempts at being elected to the Hall of Fame between 2003 and 2018, Miller was elected in 2020, after receiving the required 75% of the vote.  He becomes my 158th Hall of Famer on a baseball.

No comments: