Tuesday, March 29, 2016

TTM Success - Roy Sievers

I got a TTM success this past Thursday (March 24) from Roy Sievers that really helped out my Topps Autograph Project.  I got a 1951 and a 1952 Topps signed by Sievers, and those were my first from both of those years.  The 51 is a Red Back; I have two Blue Backs mailed out, that I hope to see come back soon.
I'm really happy about this 1952.  I have since received another signed 52, and have mailed out several more.  I didn't realize how much I really loved this set.  Unfortunately, barring a lottery win, I doubt I will be able to complete this set in my lifetime.  Mantle 52, you know.  Ouch.

I picked up both of these cards on Ebay and mailed the out on March 15.  I got them back with a 9-day TAT.

Sievers (b. 1926) played in the majors from 1949 to 1965 for the Browns, Senators, White Sox and Phillies.  He had 1,703 hits, 318 home runs and a lifetime average of .267.  He led the AL in home runs in 1957 with 42 and also led with 114 RBI.  Not your prototypical home run hitter (by today's mold, at least), he never struck out more than 88 times in a season.  He finished third in the 1957 AL MVP voting (behind Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams) and was the 1949 AL Rookie of the Year.

Sievers appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot in 1971 and 1972, but only received a maximum of 1.8% of the vote (1971).  This is my second success from Sievers.  I received a signed ball from him on August 24, 2011.  You can see that post here.

No comments: