Wednesday, December 30, 2020

TTM Success - Don Hood

They say we each have a doppleganger.  Someone somewhere who looks just like us.  I've always been told mine was Brad Pitt (yeah, right).  Well, I found my friend, Jackson's, twin, and it is former pitcher, Don Hood.  Jackson looks a bit like Hood does, without the mustache, the most in the 1979 Topps card below.  I even sent a pic of the card to Jackson, and he screenshotted it.  I thought it was pretty funny.
Hood signed and personalized each card.  I had sent to him before, but those cards never came back.  I tried again with these, and here they are. Two of them (the 1974 and 1978) are Topps buyback cards.  They have the buyback stamp on them, so I thought it would be cool to get them signed.  I also got my 1991 Crown Orioles card signed.

Hood (b. 1949) played in the majors from 1973 to 1980 and 1982 to 1983 for the Orioles, Indians, Yankees, Cardinals and Royals.  He had a career record of 34-35 with 374 strike outs and a 3.79 ERA.  He was a first round pick (17th overall) in the 1969 June Amateur Draft out of a Florence, South Carolina high school.  He was included with Boog Powell in the 1975 trade that sent the Oriole favorite (Powell) to Cleveland.

I mailed to Hood on October 3 and got the cards back on October 13, for a 10-day TAT.

No comments: