Thursday, November 18, 2021

TTM Success - Sandy Alomar, Jr.

Another example of me finding cards in my boxes that I really wanted to get signed is evident in this TTM success from Sandy Alomar, Jr.   I had him on a 1995 Topps that my friend, Max, got done for me a while back.  Still, when I saw these two cards in my boxes, I put them aside and waited for the next time Alomar popped up in a signing, and off they went.

The above 1998 Topps Tek really turned out amazingly.  I like these acetate cards; I have liked them since they were put into Marvel sets back in the mid 90s.  I'm glad I sent this one off to be signed and had it added to my album.
This 1998 Pacific Crown Collection card is really cool.  It is actually laser-cut; the area behind Alomar is some kind of mesh design, and looks really great.  I haven't seen any others from this set, so I definitely wanted to add it to my autograph album.  This card kind of snuck up on me, as far as it being something that I really enjoy having in my collection.

Alomar (b. 1966) played in the majors from 1988 to 2007 for the Padres, Indians, White Sox, Rockies, Rangers, Dodgers and Mets.  He had 1,236 hits, 112 home runs and a .273 batting average.  He was the 1990 AL Rookie of the Year and a 6-time All Star (1990-1992 and 1996-1998).  He was a Gold Glove Award winner in 1990, and his best MVP finish was 14th (1997; AL).  He appeared on the 2013 Hall of Fame ballot, but received only 2.8% of the vote.

I mailed to the signing on September 13 and got the cards back on September 28, for a 15-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $20/card.

No comments: