Monday, August 3, 2015

If You Were a Hot Dog, Would You Eat Yourself? A New HOF Baseball - Harry Caray


I added my 114th Hall of Fame signed baseball on Friday at the National Card Show when I made a bundle deal for this Harry Caray signed baseball.  I got another Hall of Famer thrown in with the deal, but Caray was the one I was really after. I figured that getting a Caray ball would be a good addition, since I was in Chicago.

Caray (b. 1914 - d. 1998) was a broadcaster for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1945 to 1969, the Oakland A's in 1970, the Chicago White Sox from 1971 to 1981 and the Chicago Cubs from 1982 to 1997.

Caray won the Ford Frick Award in 1989, making him a Hall of Fame broadcaster.  He is my 5th broadcaster.  I still don't have a single winner of the J. G. Taylor Spink award, so I probably should be looking for some of those at some point.

I'll close this blog entry with a clip from an SNL sketch that most people may associate Caray with these days.  Thanks, Will Ferrell:

No comments: