Saturday, August 8, 2015

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Leon Day

I added my 117th Hall of Fame signed baseball when I got a steal at the National from the same dealer which I purchased the Greenberg ball.  Day baseballs usually sell for around $150-$200, and I got this one (JSA authenticated) for only $100.  Not a bad deal at all.  You don't see a lot of Leon Day stuff, so to be able to find this one was a treat in itself.

Day (b. 1916 - d. 1995) played in the Negro Leagues from 1934 to 1943 and 1946 to 1950 for the Baltimore Black Sox, Brooklyn/Newark Eagles, Philadelphia Stars and Baltimore Elite Giants.  He was a 7-time Negro League All Star and won the Negro League World Series in 1946 (with the Philadelphia Stars).

Day was elected to the Hall of Fame via the Veterans Committee in 1995, just six days after learning that he had been elected to the Hall.

No comments: