Thursday, June 16, 2016

TTM Success - Bob Friend

I was able to add some really nice vintage cards to my autograph binder recently when these Bob Friend cards came in.  I picked up this 1955 Bowman from the Columbia antique shop.  This is a really great set, and I keep telling myself that I'm going to try to put it together one day.  I still have a ton of other sets to complete, so I'll keep dreaming for now.  As you can see, this card is trimmed a bit (see the right side), so getting it signed helps me put it to some use, since trimming of cards is never good.
This 1961 Topps is the first from that set that I have been able to get signed.  I found it in my vintage Topps box, and decided to make sure I had the year represented, so I sent it off.  I'm glad I did, since it came out great.
This 1964 Topps was also in my vintage box, so I figured, why not, and sent it as well.  It also turned out really nice.
Finally, here is a 2002 Topps Super Teams card that I got from my good friend, Max.  He sent me a couple cards from this set to try TTM, and they both turned out great.  You'll have to wait to see who the other one is.  This card is numbered 288/1960.

Friend (b. 1930) played in the majors from 1951 to 1966 for the Pirates, Yankees and Mets.  He had a career record of 197-230 with an ERA of 3.58 and 1,734 strike outs.  In 1958, he finished 3rd in the NL Cy Young Voting and 6th in the NL MVP voting after going 22-14 with an ERA of 3.68.  He was the NL ERA leader in 1955 and was a 3-time All Star.  He was a member of the 1960 World Series champion Pirates.

I mailed to Friend on May 21 and got the cards back on May 28, for a 7-day TAT.

No comments: