Tuesday, September 14, 2021

TTM Success - Bill Mazeroski

Bill Mazeroski has been signing TTM consistently for a good bit now that he has moved from wherever he was previously.  I had seen a bunch of people get him back, so I decided to try my hand at it, as well.  Then, I got a RTS.  The same address everyone else was using, and my envelope came back with the dreaded yellow sticker.  Dang.  I tossed the cards in a box I have been filling up that, once full, will be yard sale fodder.  

One of my buddies got him back a while later and confirmed that same address for me, so I dug these two cards back out of the box (took forever to find them, of course), and I sent them off again.  This time around, I was successful and have two really great cards that I can add to the album.
The card at the top is a 2019 Topps 150 Years of Baseball insert, and turned out amazing.  The above 2001 Topps Golden Moments card is also great, and I am glad I was able to get it signed.  I missed out on getting the Bobby Thompson card signed, but I did get Hank Aaron.  This is a pretty cool subset and I may come off of some money to add a few more of these to my collection.

Mazeroski (b. 1936) is now 85 years old and one of the oldest living Hall of Famers.  He played 17 years in the majors (from 1956 to 1972), all for the Pirates.  He had 2,016 hits, 138 home runs and a .260 batting average.  He was a 10-time All Star (1958 to 1960, 1962 to 1964 and 196, with double honors in 1959, 1960 and 1962).  His best MVP finish was 8th in 1958.  He was also an 8-time Gold Glove Award winner.  He won the World Series in 1960 and 1971; his home run in the 7th game of the 1960 World Series is the moment shown on both of the cards I sent.

He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2001 via the Veterans Committee.

I mailed to Mazeroski on March 27 and got the cards back on April 12, for a 16-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $10.00/card.

No comments: