Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Sparky Anderson

Greetings from frigid Baltimore, as I sit in my hotel room recovering from a day of standing in line on hard concrete, waiting for autographs.  Yes, I was at Fan Fest, today, but I will hold off posting about that til I get home tomorrow, because my hotel room is way too small for me to be spreading out all of the stuff I got.

I did get, however, another ball for my HOF signed baseball collection.  My mom and I were killing time before one of our signings, and decided to check out a vendor who had a bunch of signed baseballs.  I picked up this Sparky Anderson for only $65.00, which I thought was a great price.  He was the only Hall of Famer that I needed that he had for sale.

Anderson (b. 1934 - d. 2010) played in the majors in 1959 for the Phillies but is best known as a manager who took the Reds and Tigers to World Series championships.  Anderson managed the Reds from 1970 to 1978 and then the Tigers from 1979 to 1995.  He won the World Series in 1975 and 1976 with the Big Red Machine and 1984 with the Tigers.  He had a career won/loss record of 2,194 - 1,834.  As a manager, he compiled 19 full seasons with a winning record.

Anderson was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000 by the Veterans Committee.

No comments: