Monday, April 25, 2022

Graphing Recap - Kentucky Wild Health Genomes at High Point Rockers

When I get the chance to graph the Independent Leagues, I try to jump at it.  I was off from Wood Ducks games this past weekend, so I took the opportunity to go to the High Point Rockers and see former Oriole, Felix Pie, back in action in the states after 10+ years.

I thrashed last week to find cards for the trip, and feel like I did really well.  The above 2010 Topps copper parallel was the one card I wanted to get signed, but I had no idea where I had seen it last.  I was packing the car and about to walk out of the door when I picked up one last team bag of cards in a box, which yielded the card.  Whew.  The card is numbered 151/399, and I don't recall where I got it.  I just know that I opened a ton of 2010 Topps, and didn't pull any copper parallels that I can remember.
I was able to get Pie by the dugout pre-game, and outside post-game.  I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get too many autographs, but I really had no problem.  The barriers weren't made for short people, so I struggled getting my book to some of the guys, but in the end, I did really well.
Chris Shaw's cards were all over the place in my card room, since he had been with Norfolk fairly recently.  So, there were a few cards in the Box of Shame, as well as a few in an old box I had for the Orioles a few years ago in my closet.
By the time I put my bag away Saturday night, I had gotten Shaw on 12 cards.  He signed a full page inside and then stood and talked to me as he signed another full page outside after the game.
This 2017 Bowman Chrome blue shimmer refractor of Chase Vallot was another card that I really wanted to come away with signed.  I had it way back when Vallot came through the Wood Ducks during the 2017 season, but it got misplaced.  Thankfully, I had found it and kept it close by in order to get it signed, finally.
Max Povse was the player who "put me on the board" Saturday.  I was able to get him quickly, even though he was the starter.  I really wish that I had his 2017 Bowman Chrome to get signed, but I never did get one.
Several of these Aaron Blair cards had frequent flyer miles on them.  I had sent 4 of them TTM to him a few months ago, only for them to be RTS.  I keep the RTS envelopes near my desk, so finding his cards was pretty easy.
I took a couple of my boxes to the farm the night before the game, stayed up listening to the Orioles game and searched the boxes for these cards.  I also took the time to organize that box, since it was one of the ones from the former LCS.  It had an assortment of 2013-2019 Bowman in it, so I can now merge all of those into my other Bowman box.
Jonathan Crawford was the only player who limited while I was in High Point.  It was post-game by the dugout, so I'm sure he was ready to get in the clubhouse.  High Point had come from behind and walked it off in the 9th, so everyone was excited.
Most of the Logan Morrison cards I got signed were Box of Shame cards, as well as the Ran Dulls.  I have no idea who gave me the Johnny Field relic card (it may have been my friend, Dalton), but my brother Philip hooked me up with a little painter's tape before I left for the game so I could secure it in my book.  The card was too thick for my photo corners.

I was super excited about completing the 2015 Topps A's rookies card with Max Muncy that I got signed a few years ago.  Hopefully, my friend, Max, can help me add Ben Gamel to the 2016 Topps cards already signed by Johnny Barbato.
Here are the other LoMo and Ryan Dull cards that I got signed.  I didn't realize beforehand, but Dull is from Winston-Salem, which was pretty cool.
Here are the rest of the cards I got signed by the players.  I lucked into getting Brady Lail; I asked a group of guys that were coming out of the clubhouse if Lail was still there and he introduced himself.
The last person I was able to get was former pitcher, Frank Viola.  Viola serves as High Point's pitching coach.  We talked for a bit outside about the town he now lives in.  I had spent a lot of time in that town, so I was able to make a good Chinese food recommendation to him, which he appreciated.
I graphed on my own this weekend, and in all, I feel like I did pretty well.  I came away with the following autographs:  Aaron Blair 7, Anderson Miller x 1, Felix Pie x 9, Riley Mahan x 3, Chase Vallot x 4, Chris Shaw x 14, Jonathan Crawford x 2, Max Povse x 1, Johnny Barbato x 2, Ryan Dull x 3, Johnny Field x 2, Tyler Ladendorf x 6, Brady Lail x 3, Logan Morrison x 4 and Frank Viola x 7 (70 total autographs).

I want to hit High Point again, especially since I am able to remove some older cards from my boxes.  I hear some of the teams are pretty stacked this year, so I may be headed back up there some time the Wood Ducks are out of town.

1 comment:

osupremegrandmotherone said...

You get to stay at the farm for free in exchange for feeding the horses,llamas,the goat,the geese, and ducks. 😁