Friday, November 29, 2019

TTM Success - Kyle Petty

You have to look really closely, but this card is signed by Kyle Petty.  I believe I had actually met him way back when I was working at the Harris-Teeter in Huntersville.  Rusty Wallace used to shop at that store, and I'm sure Joe Gibbs did, as well, since his shop was nearby.  I remember a guy who looked just like Petty came up to the customer service counter and chatted with me for a while, as the folks he was with were shopping.  He was really friendly, asked me about where I was going to school, how long I had been working there, etc.  After he left, one of the guys who worked in the deli asked me if I knew I had been talking to.  I said "I think that might have been Kyle Petty."  He said "Yes, it was."  It was just a cool moment that I had for 15 minutes at a store I really enjoyed working at.  Even if it wasn't really Petty, I'd like to continue to believe it was.

Petty (b. 1960) raced in his first NASCAR Winston Cup race in 1979, toward the end of the season.  He would compete in the highest NASCAR series from 1979 to 2008.  His best points finish was 5th (1992 and 1993) and would finish his career with 8 race wins.

I mailed to Petty on October 22 and got the card back on October 31, for a 9-day TAT.

No comments: