Wednesday, August 7, 2019

2019 National Pickup - Chipper Jones Signed Baseball

Every year that I go to the National, I try to add baseballs to my Hall of Fame collection.  The collection started in 2010, when I added Stan Musial and Bob Feller to the small collection I had from when I was growing up (Cal Ripken, Brooks Robinson and Jim Palmer).  From those first five baseballs, I had added some huge names and now I can proudly say that I have added two more to the collection.  Additionally, I picked up a ball of a surefire Hall of Famer, so there is the potential that this National could add three baseballs to the tally.

I added Chipper Jones to the list on Saturday at the show, after I had looked aroud and priced several baseballs.  This one was a little more expensive than the others, but it was on a brand new OMLB ball and came with the Hall of Fame inscription.  Because I bundled this baseball with another big name, I got this at a nicely reduced rate.

Jones (b. 1972) played in the majors in 1993 and from 1995 to 2012 for the Braves.  He had 2,726 hits, 468 home runs and a .303 batting average.  He was the 1999 NL MVP and finished second (to Hideo Nomo) in the 1995 NL Rookie of the Year voting.  Jones was an 8-time All Star and won the World Series in 1995.

Jones was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2018 (his first ballot) when he was named on 97.2% of the vote.

Jones becomes my 144th Hall of Famer on a baseball.

No comments: