Saturday, March 3, 2012

More Sportlots Pickups - 1970 and 1971 Topps

I'll go ahead and tell you, I'm sick of looking at 1970 Topps cards.  As you can see from the below Al Kaline (who was the last big name I needed for the set), my scanner seems to be tired of them, too.  In that vein, I went on Sportlots the other day and wiped out my 1970 Topps needs.  Done.  Complete.  Except, when buying off of Sportlots, you have to wait for all of your packages to come in before you are done...  I still have two sellers who I am waiting on, so that means my 1970 set is yet to be completed.  Dang.  Oh well, that pretty much guarantees another post on the 1970 Topps set.  I am curious to see which card becomes the completer card of the set.
I also knocked out a handful of 1971 Topps while I was filling my cart on Sportlots.  In total, I added 9 of them, the biggest names being Manny Mota and Luis Tiant.
I have a lot more 1971s that I need, but I will be able to get low numbers from card shows pretty cheaply.  It is when I run into the high numbers (as i have seen with 1970), that is when my set building comes to a crawl.
I really like how the 1971s I got turned out, all of them are sharp, with no (or very little) color loss at the corners.  This set was the one I got off of a guy at a small show for $80 (a partial set), but a number of the cards needed upgrading.

This one will take some time, but I imagine I will make a serious dent in it when the April card show comes to town.

2 comments:

Flash said...

Sportlots turns into a puzzle game after awhile. You try to find the least number of people who have your cards so you can keep shipping costs down. You also find yourself looking at every set you're trying to complete. Trying to get the most bang for your buck. It's been awhile since I've been on there but I probably should get on there and try to finish some of these sets with short prints and my '75 set.

topher (Crackin Wax/Varsity Trading Cards) said...

I'm a Twins fan, and I should know better, but I ALWAYS find myself pronouncing his name "Taint."