Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thoughts on 2013 Topps Update

It has been a couple weeks, but 2013 Topps Update is out.  Tell me if you already heard that.  I bought a box from my LCS and during my purchase, Wendell, the shop owner, had the above Chris Davis relic waiting for me.  I paid him $20 to take it off of his hands (I overpaid a bit, but since the money went to my LCS, I'm cool with that).  In my box, I ended up with some good inserts, autos and relics.  Mostly Cardinals, for some reason.  So, I have some money down between Andrew and Weston scrapping for the cards; winner take all...

I am really happy with Update, though, because one of my favorite Orioles was a part of the Home Run Derby (to which he has a card) and also, 5 Orioles were All Stars (each has a card for that).  Among other Orioles in the set are Zach Britton (yawn), Wilson Betemit (Zzz Zzz), Henry Urrutia RC (cool) and Darren O'Day (Woo Hoo!).

Also, are RCs of Yasiel Puig (something like 4 or 5 of them) and Michael Wacha (I'll be holding onto that one, I think).

I posted before, but the Blue Sapphire parallels (numbered to 25) are really cool-looking and the one I pulled was an AL pitching leaders card.

I took part in Andrew's jumbo box break, which, for me, was nicely successful.  If I had a little more cash, I'd probably buy one more box, but since I have a Pearl Jam concert coming up, and a trip to Columbia, SC to see my brother, I need to save some money.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Update this year and don't be surprised if you see me busting another jumbo box sooner, rather than later.  Oh yeah, there's also the inevitable rainbow chase of Davis cards in this set as well.  2 cards for him, whatever shall I do?

No comments: