Friday, May 16, 2014

What I Got With My Abreu Money

I'm sure you all know by now what I sold my Jose Abreu autograph for a whopping $165.00.  I was able to basically take a card that is hot right now and likely to cool off for a few Hall of Famers I needed for my sets.  Some of the cards haven't arrived yet, but the bulk of them came in today.

In my opinion, one of the best was the above Willie Mays catch card.  I had been looking at it for some time now, and finally jumped on it when the Abreu money hit my PayPal.  The card is just awesome and it is so cool that it depicts one of the most iconic moments in baseball history.
I knocked off a high number All Star card in this Warren Spahn.  These cards are the ones that are really going to hurt me when I start really picking them off.  This one was just over $10, but I know if I buy a bunch in bulk at a shop or card show, it's going to be painful.
Since I already have the Bob Gibson RC, the Mantle and the Hank Aaron cards from this set, the next biggest cards were of Sandy Koufax and Willie Mays.  I knocked both of those out courtesy of the Abreu.  The Koufax is a bit off center and the Mays is a little rougher, but I now have both cards in my set and am very happy about it!
Taking these off the list was very satisfying.  I think the biggest names I need now are Don Drysdale, Warren Spahn, and of course the All Star cards. That All Star Mantle is going to set me back about $100 or so, so I need to pick that one up when bonus time comes, or Birthday time.
Finally, of the cards that came in, I was able to take one off of my 1948 Bowman set.  This Johnny Mize "RC" was only $12.  As you can see, it is a bit rough, but not too bad.  I am still working hard on this 1948 set and am making pretty good progress.  The biggest card left is the Rizzuto, but those are going for around $100, so I didn't want to spend most of my money on one card.  I wanted to spread it out and I think I did much better that way.

No comments: