Friday, February 10, 2012

Awesome Mail From Virgil Trucks

I'm speechless.  I got home from work today to some mail I was expecting (I got all but one of the Nolan Reimold cards I had ordered) and an envelope that I wasn't expecting.  When my wife told me "You got a letter from Virgil Trucks," I was thinking no way, I haven't written him since Christmas.

Well, Mr. Trucks felt that he should properly thank me for the donation I sent along with a Christmas card back in December.  Something that surprised me even more, was that when I opened the envelope, I saw that the stuff inside wasn't meant for me, but for my son, Chris.




The letter says:  

Dear William and Chris,
I have been pretty busy these past few weeks.  So thought I would drop you a line and I haven't thanked you for the check.  Its about time I did.  So thank you so very much.  Also, the church thanks you.  Enclosed are a few photos for Chris if he wants them.  I hope they find you all well and wish you and your family a great 2012.


Sincerely,
Virgil Trucks

WOW!  He already thanked me last month when he sent a reply along with a couple signed cards.  This was completely unexpected, but welcome!  Chris was so excited to get these photos in the mail, plus the fact that they were signed is great.  He signed everything he put in the envelope.  Please, all of you take a look!



I plan on framing all of these and hanging them in Chris' room.  You all know how I feel about Mr. Trucks, but it cannot be stated enough.  He is an absolute treasure to the game and in life in general.  Always gracious to anyone who takes the time to send him a letter, Mr. Trucks is without peer.  His generosity is definitely something that I will remember for the rest of my life.

I have already had Chris draw Mr. Trucks a picture and write a thank you note to him, so I should be able to get that in the mail tomorrow.

If any of you have been thinking about writing a former player, put Mr. Virgil Trucks at the top of your list.  Also, if you have the means, send a few bucks to his church in his name.  I'm sure they appreciate it and I know he does.  Let's all do something good in honor of a man who does plenty for us!

5 comments:

PAB said...

Awesome gesture and awesome post! Mr.Trucks may have helped create a new collector!

(Will) Darth Wino said...

That's great, Mr. Trucks is a great TTM'er and a true gentleman!

The Lost Collector said...

Awesome success!

Ryan said...

That is absolutely wonderful - agree with everything you said, Fire Trucks is truly one of a kind. One of these days I will have to share my own TTM experience with this baseball great.

How great for your son, WIlliam. THIS is why we love this game.

Dodgerbobble said...

Very cool! All athletes should be like that, grateful for their fans.