Wednesday, October 12, 2022

TTM Success - Brent Stentz

Some cards were cleared from my old Bowman box with this TTM success from Brent Stenz.  I got a bunch of these late 09s/early 00s minor league and Bowman cards from the former LCS.  Going through those boxes can be fun, since a lot of those cards are of guys I've never heard of.  Some of them still sign TTM, so there are guys I can learn about and add to the albums.
The baby powder I use really helped polish this 1999 Bowman Chrome, and helped it scan a bit better than these cards have in the past.  I do like this set, and am glad the chromes are looking better.

Stentz (b. 1975) was a 33rd round pick by the Tigers in the 1994 June Amateur Draft out of Pasco-Hernando State College in Florida.  He played in the minors from 1995 to 2001 for the Tigers and Twins organizations, reaching AAA.  With Stentz being a 33rd round pick in 1994, I wondered why he got a Bowman card in 1999.  During the 1998 season, Stentz pitched at AA New Britain in the Twins organization.  That season, he went 1-2 with a 1.98 ERA and 43 saves.  That next season (1999), he got promoted to AAA, where he went 0-3 with a 11.22 ERA.  From there, he was up and down, pitching much better in AAA in 2000 (to a 1.93 ERA in 42 games) then worse in 2001 at AAA to a 5.65 ERA in 17 games.  He would go back and forth those seasons between AA and AAA, with 2001 being his final season.

I mailed to Stentz on September 26 and got the cards back on October 6, for a 10-day TAT.

No comments: