Wednesday, July 14, 2021

TTM Success - Rosey Grier

This really nice 2001 Topps Archives of Rosey Grier turned up in one of the boxes I got from my former LCS when it closed.  I thought it looked cool, so I looked Grier up and saw that he signs TTM for a fee through his foundation.  I got the card back signed, along with a note thanking me for my donation.  I was really happy with how the card looks.

Grier (b. 1932) celebrates a birthday today, July 14.  He played in the NFL from 1955 to 1966 for the Giants and Rams.  He was a first-team All Pro 8 times and second-team All Pro 6 times.  He was a third round (31st overall) draft pick out of Penn State in 1955.  He was an NFL Champion with the Giants in 1956.

After his football career ended, he would go on to become a bodyguard for Senator Robert Kennedy during Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign.  He was guarding Ethel Kennedy when Robert was shot.  He subdued the shooter and took control of the gun.  Grier also acted (mostly television) and sang.

I mailed to Grier on February 10 and got the card back on March 2, for a 20-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $30.00.

No comments: