Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Foulbunt Top Ten - No. 10

Lately, I haven't had a lot to blog about, so I got to thinking.  Then, I thought some more.  Then, I went to the bank and pulled my baseball cards out of my safety deposit box and went through my collection to try to determine my Top Ten baseball cards.  It wasn't easy, but I think I got a pretty good list together.  My intention is to blog each of the Top Ten, even though all of them have been featured on this blog in the past.  Each card got a new scan, especially since some of them came before I got my new scanner, and way before I learned how to properly crop them as well.

Without further ado, here is card number 10:

Card No. 10 in my Top Ten (as of November 14, 2015) is this 1954 Topps Jackie Robinson.  This card beat out a good many "honorable mentions" like my 1960 Topps Mickey Mantle, my 1953 Topps Satchel Paige, my graded 1967 Topps Brooks Robinson and countless others.

I got this card back in May when I visited the Columbia antique shop with my mom.  She picked this up for me, along with the '60 Mantle to cover for a couple birthday gifts and Christmas presents.  I couldn't choose between the Mantle and Robinson, so she was awesome enough to get both.  Thanks Mom!

I only have two Jackie Robinson cards in my collection, this one, and the 1955 in my set.  I intend to do the 1954 set at some point, but I still need a bunch of the higher end cards like the Aaron and Kaline rookies.

The card itself is in pretty good shape, and is very aesthetically pleasing.  I always enjoy the 50s sets like this one, and 1959, with their bold colors.  I always find that they scan well.

Jackie helps to make this list not only because he is a Hall of Famer, but also because he is a cultural icon.  Having broken the color barrier and being a huge factor in the Civil Rights movement makes this a huge piece in my collection.

No comments: