Tuesday, June 23, 2015

2015 Topps Series 2 Box Break - A Huge Hit

I busted my three jumbo boxes of 2015 Topps Series 2 and got a ton of really nice hits.  I got one of the manufactured bat knobs, which I will show in another post.  Normally, that (with the player the card was of) would have been one of the best hits, but this birth year coin/stamp card beat it out.

I actually pulled two of the coin/stamp cards, the other being Jose Abreu.  This Ted Williams, though, really did it for me.  I mean, numbered to 50 (44/50) and with a silver Mercury dime.  Oh man, what a cool card.

I collected coins as a kid, long before I got into baseball cards.  My dad would bring me little plastic bubbles home that had a couple wheat pennies in them; my grandfather would show me his coin collection (which I wish I could have gotten my hands on when he passed) on rainy Sunday afternoons, and my mom would always facilitate a trip to the local coin shop (do those even exist anymore?).  I still have quite a few coins and even some paper money that I have hoarded over the last several years, but whenever I go through it, I always stop and admire the Mercury dimes.  I don't know why, but the Mercury dime, along with the Morgan dollar, were always my favorites.

Even more, I also collected stamps for a while.  My grandmother is quite the stamp collector (I see a pattern here), and I became interested in it one of those rainy Sunday afternoons.  So, somewhere around here is my stamp album (yes, I still have it).  I just find this baseball card really funny, in that it kind of reminds me how my collecting has evolved over the years.  Plus, it is a Ted Williams; You can's go wrong with that.

So, I was really excited when I pulled this card.  I probably will sell or trade the Abreu, but this Williams is getting slabbed in a magnetic case, and will be in my collection for a while.  I really like this card!

By the way, I saw the Ty Cobb 1/1 dime/stamp card in Ebay this morning.  For bid, already at $1,200.  Oh man, that would have been a cool pull.

No comments: