Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hall of Fame TTM Success - Joe Garagiola

I have reached 75 baseballs signed by Hall of Famers.  When I began collecting Hall of Fame signed baseballs in January 2010, I never thought I would get this far.  Today, I added a ball signed by Hall of Fame broadcaster (Ford Frick Award winner) Joe Garagiola.
Mr. Garagiola signed my ball for a fee of $25.00 toward his charity.  I mailed the ball to him on July 25, 2012 without the donation and got a note back from him explaining why he was asking for a $25 donation, and I was happy to oblige.
I also got this signed chrome card from him, which was really nice.  He has really good handwriting, and the blue marker really pops off of the card.

Garagiola (b. 1926) played in the majors from 1946 to 1954 for the Cardinals, Pirates, Cubs and Giants.  He had 481 career hits, 42 home runs and a lifetime average of .257.  He won the World Series in 1946 with the Cardinals. 

Garagiola worked for NBC for nearly 30 years, calling games with legends such as Curt Gowdy and Vin Scully.  As a result of his years broadcasting, he was a recipient of the Ford Frick Award in 1991, thus becoming a member of the Hall of Fame.

Garagiola is my 75th Hall of Famer and 3rd Ford Frick Award Winner (the others being Ernie Harwell and Bob Uecker).

2 comments:

Drew said...

Nice, crisp auto right there man! Good success!

Ryan said...

That's a great looking, dark blue signature from Joe on that crisp white baseball - fantastic keepsake.

Congratulations on the 75 milestone, William! You're an inspriation. I've changed up my direction a bit with my last few balls. Opting to chase down non-HOF Yankees that I really wanted for other particular reasons but I feel a stron 'Call to the Hall' coming for the next batch of ROMLBs!

Thanks for sharing these GREAT pieces!

Ryan

www.ryanspitch.blogspot.com