Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hidden in my Collection - 1975 Topps Dave Winfield

I have had this card for probably 16 or 17 years. I can't remember where I got it, I mean I know my mom bought it for me, but I'm not sure if I got it from the card shop that ended up becoming the one I help out at, or the other card shop that was in Winston-Salem at the time. I kept this with my Cal Ripken collection, because for a long time, it was the oldest card in my collection.
I'm a big fan of the 1975 Topps set. I love the funky colors. I really believe that this set is probably in the top 5 all-time when it comes to best sets that Topps has put out. I like it when they throw a curveball and come out with a 'different' design. This one is right up there, along with the wood bordered sets of 1962 and 1987, or the burlap 1968s. Along with the design, the set also has some sweet cards in it, namely the George Brett and Robin Yount rookie cards. Building the set was difficult because it is very popular among collectors, so many of the cards hold a premium, but I was able to finish the set in less than a year.
.
Dave Winfield was an awesome player as well, hitting over 400 home runs and collecting 3,000+ hits. This is his second-year card, so it didn't come too cheap, but Mom did well on it, as always. When I put the 1975 set together, I got a separate Winfield so the one Mom got me stayed in its righful place, stored with my other 'treasures.'
.
Finally, I enjoy the old school Padres uniform. I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed their old brown and yellow helmets. I hear their stadium and the City of San Diego are beautiful, as I have had several friends who have visited there. I'd definitely like to at some point.

No comments: