Tuesday, April 12, 2016

TTM Success - Bobby Shantz (Second Success)

I needed to get to work on some of the 1950s sets when I set out to do my Topps Autograph Project.  So, I went to Ebay and picked up a bunch of cards of guys who I knew signed, and utilized some of the most trusted TTM signers to go ahead and knock out some of the years that I needed.  A few of them are guys that I had already gotten TTM (man, I wish I had sent some Topps cards to Virgil Trucks).  One of the best TTM signers out there not named Bobby Doerr is former MVP, Bobby Shantz.

I really wanted to have him represented in the project, so I picked out this nice 1954 Topps for him to sign.  It turned out to be the first 1954 that I was able to get signed.  I have since received another that will be shown in a later post, but this one really turned out great.

Shantz (b. 1925) played in the majors from 1949 to 1964 for the (Philadelphia and KC) A's, Yankees, Pirates, Colt .45s, Cardinals, Cubs and Phillies.  He had a career record of 119-99 with a 3.38 ERA and 1,072 strike outs.  Shantz won 24 games in 1952 on his way to the AL MVP Award.  He was a 3-time All Star and won the Gold Glove Award 8 times.

Shantz appeared on 5 Hall of Fame ballots, but didn't receive more than 2.3% of the vote.  I mailed to him on March 25 and got my card back on April 1, for a 7-day TAT.  I had received from Shantz before, a signed ball with the MVP inscription on March 25, 2011.  I didn't realize at the time, but I sent out this card 5 years to the day that I received the signed ball.  You can check out the post here.

No comments: