Monday, April 18, 2016

TTM Success - Roy Face

On April 4, I received a TTM success from one of the most prolific signers out there when I received these cards from former pitcher, Roy Face.  Getting this success helped my Topps Autograph Project a bunch, because I was able to add a couple years that I didn't already have.

This 1954 Topps turned out really nice.  I have seen a couple of them come back so far, and they all look great.
This 1956 Topps was already a cool card, but Face's signature makes it look that much better.  I've picked up quite a few more '56 cards, so there should be some more coming in really soon.
I didn't have any signed 1967 Topps cards yet, so getting this nice one in helped the project.  Since I am currently working on that set (albeit at a snail's pace), I don't have very many extras to putt for TTM.
Another set that I'm working on that has kept me from having any extras is the 1969 set.  I don't have a single duplicate card from that year, so I have to go to Ebay and pick this one up, just so I could send it out.  It turned out great, so I'm glad I picked it up.  This card is also cool because Face was a Tiger at the time, but here he is clearly in his Pirates uniform.  I guess they said to heck with airbrushing this one.

Face (b. 1928) played in the majors from 1953 and 1955 to 1969 for the Pirates, Tigers and Expos.  He had a career record of 104-95 with an ERA of 3.48 and 877 strike outs.  An early closer, Face also had 191 saves in his career, leading the league 3 times.  He was a member of the 1960 World Series Champion Pirates.  His best season was 1959 when he finished 18-1 with an ERA of 2.70 and 10 saves.  He was named an All Star that season, the first of three times he made the Midsummer Classic squad for the NL.  He also finished his highest in the NL MVP voting, at 7th place.  At that time, the Cy Young Award was awarded to only one pitcher, won by the ALs Early Wynn.  Had the award been separate at that time, Face would have made a strong case to win, his most stiff competition being Sam Jones who had a 21-15 record with a 2.83 ERA.

I mailed to Face on March 28 and got the cards back on April 4 for a 7-day TAT.

No comments: