Sunday, April 17, 2016

TTM Success - Darold Knowles

Something I'm really loving about looking through all of these old Topps cards is being able to see all of the old uniforms.  Some of the teams represented in the TTM success I have received are long gone.  I have signed cards of Seattle Pilots, St. Louis Browns, Montreal Expos, etc.  I really enjoy adding some of those to my autograph album.  Here is a 1978 Topps of Darold Knowles that came in on April 4.

Not only does it have him in an Expos hat, it is an airbrushed Expos hat.  Look closely and you'll be able to tell that the logo is painted, instead of on the photo.
My success from Knowles included another defunct team, the second incarnation of the Washington Senators.  They would go on to become the Texas Rangers for the 1972 season.
Knowles (b. 1941) played in the majors from 1965 to 1980 for the Orioles, Phillies, Senators, A's, Cubs, Rangers, Expos and Cardinals.  He had a career record of 66-74 with an ERA of 3.12 and 681 strike outs.  He also had 143 saves in his career.

Knowles was an All Star in 1969 and a member of three World Series teams, the 1972-74 Oakland A's.  He didn't make an appearance in the 72 or 74 Series, but appeared in all 7 games in 1973.  He pitched 6.1 innings, allowed only 4 hits, one unearned run before earning two saves.

I mailed to Knowles on March 28 and got my cards back on April 4, for a 7-day TAT.

No comments: