Sunday, April 10, 2016

TTM Success - Wilbur Wood

I got a TTM success last week from former pitcher, Wilbur Wood.  I had mailed to him on March 12 and got the cards back on March 29, for a 17-day TAT.  I included a card that I had originally set aside for my 1972 set, but it would have been replaced for a better conditioned one.  I figured I would go ahead and send it off for TTM and see what happened.  I'm happy I did, since the card came out really nice.
I also included some of the cards that my buddy, Max, gave me a while back.  The above 1975 SSPC turned out really nice.  Those are some cool cards and I am happy that I have gotten some of them back signed.
This 1976 Hostess also looks pretty cool signed.  When I first got them from Max, I wasn't sure what I would do with them, but now that I can do a few TTM, they really come in handy.

Wood (b. 1941) played in the majors from 1961 to 1965 and 1967 to 1978 for the Red Sox, Pirates and White Sox.  He had a career record of 164-156 with an ERA of 3.24 and 1,411 strike outs.  He won 20 or more games 4 times in his career.  He also lost as many as 20 games twice.  He finished second in the 1972 AL Cy Young Award voting, his highest finish for that award.  He was also a 3-time All Star and finished as high as 7th in the AL MVP voting.

Wood appeared on six Hall of Fame ballots between 1984 and 1989, but never received more than 7.0% of the vote.

No comments: