Thursday, April 21, 2016

TTM Success - Carl Erskine 2nd Success

I have said before, but when I started this Topps Autograph Project, there were a few guys that I have gotten TTM before that I really wanted to try again.  Carl Erskine was one of my best TTM successes back when I was sending out baseballs.  He loaded a ball with inscriptions for me, which was awesome.

This time around, the only inscription I got was #17, but it fits nicely on both of the cards I sent.  The above 1956 Topps really looks nice.
I was able to get a 1957 Topps signed as well.  I didn't have a lot of them to start with, so I had to resort to Ebay to pick a few up to send out.  I have since picked up some more guys, and sent them out, so you should be seeing some more 50s cards coming in soon.

Erskine also wrote me a note on the letter that I sent, and signed it as well.  Here is his response:

William,
Thanks for writing and for the $5.00 donation to Special Olympics.

Carl Erskine #17
'48 Dodgers '59

Erskine (b. 1926) played his entire career for the Brooklyn and L. A. Dodgers.  He went 122-78 with an ERA of 4.00 with 981 strike outs.  He finished 9th in the 1953 NL MVP voting after going 20-6 with an ERA of 3.54 and 187 strike outs.  He was an All Star in 1954.  He won the World Series with the Dodgers in 1955.  The Dodgers also won the World Series in 1959, but Erskine didn't appear in that Series, having thrown his last game on June 14 of that season.  Erskine also threw two no hitters in his career.

I mailed to him on March 24 and got the cards back on April 4, for an 11-day TAT.

No comments: