Friday, April 29, 2016

TTM Success - John Donaldson

One of the coolest TTM successes I have gotten so far since I started this project was from a really unexpected source.  I mailed to John Donaldson for a couple reasons.  I had this 1968 Topps in my vintage Topps box, and I saw that Donaldson signed TTM, so I wanted to add a better signed 1968 to the Topps Autograph Project.  My other 1968 was the really bad Ken Holtzman auto, so I'm really glad I was able to get Donaldson on this one.  Another reason I wanted to get Donaldson was because he lives in Charlotte.  I always enjoy getting fellow North Carolinians TTM.

I noticed when I was looking him up, that Donaldson was a former Seattle Pilot.  I thought it would be cool as a bit of a "sub project" to get some autos of players playing for defunct teams.  I already had a couple St. Louis Browns, a few Expos, some Philadelphia and Kansas City A's, you get the point.  I didn't have any Pilots.  The problem was, though, I was set to send to Donaldson, but didn't have his 1970 Topps.  I figured I would try someone else, but I mentioned in my request letter that I had the 68 but really would have rather found the 1970 to send to him.  That's why I was really excited when I opened my envelope...
Donaldson had read my note and included this 1970 Topps showing him as a Seattle Pilot.  That was so nice of him to include the card.  It is in amazing shape, and looks awesome signed.  I was blown away by Mr. Donaldson's generosity.  I like this 1970 a lot more than the ones I have gotten so far.  I ended up picking up a few of the other Pilots who sign TTM, so I will be trying to add a few more as time goes on.

Donaldson (b.1943) played in the majors from 1966 to 1970 and 1974 for the Kansas City and Oakland A's and Seattle Pilots.  He had 292 hits, 4 home runs and a .238 lifetime batting average.

I mailed to Mr. Donaldson on April 11 and got the cards back on April 16 for a 5-day TAT.  This was another really quick TTM success, which I think was mainly due to him living in NC.

No comments: