Sunday, March 4, 2018

Max Comes Through for the 87 Set Again

I have had some help along the way in putting together my signed 1987 Topps set, but no one has added more autographs to it than my good friend, Max.  He's one of the most generous traders around, and our perpetual 50/50 agreement has added a bunch of cards to my collection.  All he has to do is send me a list of names, and he gets those cards, free of charge.  In turn, he throws a few back my way for my autograph album.

In that vein, I wanted to add something really special to my album.  I had decided to make use of the extra checklists I had from my 1987 set, as well as the insert ads for the Spring Fever trip, All Star Game contest, etc.  As I have shown on here, I have already made use of some of those cards.

I wanted Max to be a part of my 1987 set.  Although he was a long way off from being born, with all of the contributions he made to the set, it felt right in seeing if he would be willing to sign one of the checklists.  Max signed it for me and sent it back, along with a couple extra 1987 autos that he saw that I needed.
He added Scott Sanderson, Leon Durham and Darnell Coles to the set.  I had an agreement with a kid on Instagram to get Coles for me this season, but he hasn't responded to any DMs in months.  Thankfully, Max met Coles at Spring Training, so I cn just let that other kid have the cards I sent and write them off as making room in my boxes.

You see, not everyone can be as awesome as Max is.  He really and truly is an amazing person, and I am so happy we made that first deal, something like 4 years ago.  Because of him, I root for the Cubs; because of him, I make plans to go to the National every time it is in Chicago, and through him, I have met some other really cool people.

He's going to get older and possibly lose interest in trading baseball cards on Instagram, and possibly lose interest in graphing, but none of that matters.  We have a friendship that is meaningful, and it will last.

Thanks so much for everything you do for me, Max!  I really appreciate it.  Can't wait til the next time at Wrigley!

No comments: