Friday, March 15, 2019

TTM Success - Matt Williams

This was a TTM request that I had high hopes for, and I ended up with a nice success.  The autographs from Matt Williams didn't turn out like I had hoped, but the cards are still signed, and they have moved from being buried in my TTM box to my autograph album.  I can't complain a whole lot about that.  This 1996 Pinnacle Essence of the Game is an acetate card, and it looks a lot better in person.  I had prepped the card, but I think Williams used an old Sharpie on it.
This 1994 Fleer Ultra Homerun King card also looks a lot better in person.  I had this card floating around several piles of cards in my office/card room.  It seemed to be jumping out at me every time that I looked through cards, so I finally put it aside in my TTM box and ended up including it with my TTM request.  I am actually really happy to see this one make its way into my autograph album.

Williams (b. 1965) played in the majors from 1987 to 2003 for the Giants, Indians and Diamondbacks.  He had 1,878 hits, 378 home runs and a .268 batting average.  He was an All Star five times (1990, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1999).  He led the NL in home runs in the strike-shortened 1994 season with 43 homers.  He was a four-time gold glover and a four-time silver slugger.  His best MVP finish was 2nd (NL), in 1994 (to Jeff Bagwell).  He won the World Series in 2001 with the Diamondbacks.  Williams appeared on the 2009 Hall of Fame ballot, but only received 1.3% of the vote.

I mailed to Williams on February 15 via A's Spring Training and got the cards back on February 25, for a 10-day TAT.

On a personal note, Williams was a huge name in our house back in the 90s.  My older brother, Philip, was a huge Giants fan.  He loved Will Clark and Matt Williams.  Maybe Philip will send some cards off on his own and get back a few autos.  Maybe?

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

Nice success. I got to spend a bit of time with Matt Williams a few years ago during a Spring Training trip. He was a prince.