Tuesday, September 26, 2023

A Legend is Gone

Death comes for all o us, unfortunately.  We knew the day would eventually come where Orioles fans, and baseball fans as well, would mourn the loss of the legendary Brooks Robinson.  I'm a grown man and am holding back tears.  He was probably the nicest person I've ever encountered at signings, Orioles events, ballgames, etc.  He really treated you like he had known you your whole life.
I had sent off what is now the final TTM I sent to him back on August 22 and got these cards back on September 5; 21 days prior to is passing.  I wasn't going to send to him again, but I pulled the black and white sparkle card out of 2022 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary Edition, and something told me that I should send it out.  I'm glad I did.

I came into being a fan of Brooks long after I established my Orioles fandom.  I was the biggest Cal Ripken fan, and I remember turning down someone's offer at some Brooks cards back when I was 11 or 12 because he wasn't Cal.  Little did I know.

I obviously grew to appreciate Orioles history and grew to love Brooks.  I loved him like a family member.  I met him several times, the first being the Dinner With Brooks back in 2009.  That was the most nervous I had ever been when meeting any player.  Brooks put his arm around me like he had known me for years.  Every time I saw him after that, he would talk with me like we were long lost friends.  He was the epitome of "a good man".  I loved the guy.  I can legitimately say that.  I even yelled it out to him during the 2011 Hall of Fame parade in Cooperstown.  He yelled back, "I love you too."  

I'm going to take some time off from the blog to let this one sink in.  My prayers to Brooks's family, friends, teammates and fans.







5 comments:

Brett Alan said...

Glad you had the opportunity to make those memories. He was a great one.

Chris said...

One of my favorite "vintage" players to collect, nice to know he was great with the fans as well as on the field. RIP.

Angus said...

Awesome memories to have. RIP

osupremegrandmotherone said...

😭

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Class act, may he RIP.