Friday, January 20, 2023

TTM Success - Fred Breining

This mugshot of Fred Breining aside, I was happy to add a few 80s cards of the former pitcher to my autograph album recently.  I got these three cards back signed TTM.  The above 1985 Topps is a bit curious to me; the card looks airbrushed, and could have been taken the same time as Breining's portrait shot on the inset of the below 1983 Topps.  It looks like the same stadium in the background.  I believe they took an alternate shot from that photo session and airbrushed it in order to make the 1985 Topps card.  I could be wrong, but that's my theory.
Breining (b. 1955) played in the majors from 1980 to 1984 for the Giants and Expos.  He had a record of 27-20 with 260 strike outs and a 3.34 ERA.  Breining was traded to the Expos on February 27, 1984, along with Max Venable, for Al Oliver and a player to be named later.  That player is my current insurance rep, Andy McGaffigan.

I mailed to Breining on October 27 and got the cards back on December 5, for a 39-day TAT.

No comments: