Friday, December 31, 2010

1955 Topps #92 - Don Zimmer

Don Zimmer (b. 1931) played in the Majors from 1954 to 1965 for the Dodgers, Cubs, Mets, Reds and Senators. He had 773 hits, 91 home runs and a .235 batting average. He won the World Series with the 1955 and 1959 Dodgers. He was also an accomplished manager. He managed the Padres, Red Sox, Rangers and Cubs. He won the NL Manager of the Year award with the Cubs in 1989.


Of all the players in this set, Zimmer is the only one I have met in person. We met Zimmer last year when the Rays played the Durham Bulls in Durham. It was an exhibition game right before the season. He signed a baseball for me and posed for a picture with my son. He was really nice. It was definitely worth the trip.
(MANAGER 9)

1 comment:

Dodgerbobble said...

Besides the Koufax, this is my favorite card in the set. I love seeing skinny Zim!



!