Monday, January 2, 2017

TTM Success - Jamie Moyer

This was a TTM success I was excited about for a few different reasons.  One, Jamie Moyer was a really good pitcher for a long time.  He was also a former Oriole for about 5 minutes.  Also, I got a card back signed from him that completed my Topps Autograph Project.  Until 2017 comes out, at least.

I sent so many cards because I heard that Moyer would sign anything that was sent to him, so I figured I would get a good representation of cards together and send them along.  The above 1998 Fleer Ultra Gold Medallion is one I offered to Moyer to keep, since it featured him with his sons.  He sent it back signed with the rest of my stuff, though, so I'm fine with that.
I put together a collection of Topps cards that I wanted to see signed.  I made sure I had a couple Orioles cards of his.  I also was compelled to send a 1987 Topps and the 1989 Topps Traded looked like a nice card to include.
I liked this version of Stadium Club and opened a bunch of packs of it when it came out in 1994.  The label maker font might be a bit dated, but it still looks cool.  I always liked this design.  Only problem with it, like most mid-90s cards, is that it is overglossed.  The cards tend to stick together.  Still, I'm glad I got this one signed and it will be safely kept in my album.
Finally, this is the card that completed my Topps Autograph Project for now.  I didn't have a single 2008 Topps card signed, so this one was a must when I was finding Moyer cards to mail out.  I'm really happy that I got this done.  Now, I need to compile my cards from 1951 to 2016 and figure out how I want to display the project.  I may just scan them and post them as a standalone page, until I can figure out something to do in person.

Moyer (b. 1962) played in the majors from 1986 to 1991, 1993 to 2010 and 2012 for the Cubs, Rangers, Cardinals, Orioles, Red Sox, Mariners, Phillies and Rockies.  He is a rare 4-decade player, meaning he played in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s.  He had a career record of 269-209 with 2,441 strike outs and a 4.41 ERA.  Not Hall of Fame numbers, but he was a good pitcher for a very long time.

Moyer was an All Star only one time in his career, in 2003 when he went 21-7 for the Mariners.  He won 20 games one other time in his career in 2001 when he went 20-6 for the M's.   He finished as high as 4th in Cy Young voting, during the aforementioned 2001 season.  Moyer had quite the lengthy career and finally reached the World Series in 2008 at the age of 45, taking home a ring with the Phillies over the Rays.

I mailed to Moyer on October 24 and got the cards back on December 6 for a 43-day TAT.

No comments: