Monday, November 14, 2011

Amazing TTM Success - John 'Mule' Miles

I mailed a baseball and a letter to former Negro Leaguer John "Mule" Miles on November 7, 2011 and got the signed ball back today (November 14, 2011).

I was amazed at the inscriptions that Miles added to my ball.  He signed it on the sweet spot...

...added his position...





...added the fact that he was a Tuskegee Airman in World War II...




...inscribed his feat of hitting 11 home runs in 11 straight games in 1948...




...and added Negro League Legend.  Simply amazing TTM return.  But wait, there's more!

Mr. Miles also sent a letter in response to the one I sent.  In my letter I asked him who the toughest pitcher he ever faced was and his answer (if you can't tell from the scan) was Satchel Paige.  I thought this was a really awesome return and it is only the second letter I got back from a TTM (the other being Virgil Trucks, of course).

John "Mule" Miles was born on August 11, 1922 and lives in San Antonio, Texas.  He is an original member of the Tuskegee Airmen.  He played in the Negro Leagues from 1946 to 1949 and earned his nickname from his manager after hitting two home runs in one game which elicited the comment from his manager that Miles hit "like a mule kicks..."

Miles is my 38th TTM success.  He signed for free with a 7-day TAT.

3 comments:

Carl Crawford Cards said...

Great success! "Mule" Miles is a great guy.

Greg Zakwin said...

Absolutely amazing!

jennyreimold said...

That's an amazing story!