Wednesday, August 15, 2018

TTM Success - Rafael Palmeiro

When I found out that Rafael Palmeiro had signed with an Independent League team, I immediately dug up the 1987 Topps I needed for my set, along with a few other nice cards that I thought I might send along.  I ended up settling on one nice foil card of him as an Oriole, and obviously sent my '87.  I was beyond excited when the cards came back from the Cleburne Railroaders signed.  I was able to knock a huge card off of my set, and also add a pretty nice Topps insert, too.
Granted, I did see Palmeiro later on this summer, but I really hoped I would see my cards again, and I was lucky enough to have a success.  What was even better was that I got the cards back right after I had mentioned to Raffy's son, Preston, that I had hoped my cards would come back.  I told Preston the next day that I did get the cards, and he seemed genuinely happy.

Palmeiro (b. 1964) played in the majors from 1986 to 2005 for the Cubs, Rangers and Orioles.  He had 3,020 hits, 569 home runs and a .288 batting average.  He was a 4-time All Star (1988, 1991, 1998 and 1999), three-time Gold Glove Award winner (1997 to 1999) and two-time Silver Slugger Award winner (1998 and 1999).  His best finish in the MVP voting was 5th (AL) in 1999.

He reached the playoffs in 1996, 1997 and 1999, but never played in a World Series.  He was mentioned in the Mitchell Report on steroids in 2005, and was also mentioned in Jose Canseco's book Juiced as a steroid user.  He is remembered for vehemently denying any steroid use in front of congress, but was ultimately popped with a positive test for the steroid Stanozolol, and was suspended.  His career was forever tarnished because of the positive test result.  He has always maintained his innocence, blaming the positive result on a tainted B-12 shot that he had received from teammate Miguel Tejada (a player who also popped up in a few steroid investigations).

I can still remember where I was when I saw the news of his suspension.  I was at a restaurant with a former friend, and saw the news ticker announce his suspension.  I felt like I had witnessed the death of a close friend.

My opinion on the matter doesn't mean a thing, but I have always maintained that I believe in Raffy.  Why wouldn't I?  He was a hero of mine, long before he became an Oriole, and will still go down as one of my all-time favorite players.  I met him in Cleburne this summer, where he is still continuing to play, and still has that sweet swing.

With all of my love for Raffy, I still highly doubt he will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I mailed to Palmeiro via the Cleburne Railroaders on May 9 and got the cards back on May 26, for a 17-day TAT.

No comments: