Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Signed 1987 Topps Set Pickup - Sammy Stewart

I once mailed a letter to Sammy Stewart, but I never got a response.  Granted, it was to him while he was in prison, but I still hoped to get a letter back from him.  Being that he was from North Carolina, and a former Oriole, I had hoped to hear from him after I reached out.  He never responded.

Stewart passed away earlier this year after years of trouble with the law and addiction.  I had hoped that he would turn himself around, and maybe show up to Orioles Fan Fest at some point, but that was never to be.

I found this card on Ebay for a decent price.  I had intended to use a $10 off coupon for Ebay that I was handed at the National, but the coupon didn't work.  I guess the theme of this post is - disappointment.

Stewart (b. 1954 - d. 2018) played in the majors from 1978 to 1987 for the Orioles, Red Sox and Indians.  He had a career record of 59-48 with 586 strike outs and a 3.59 ERA.  He won the World Series in 1983 with the Orioles.  He was born in Asheville and called NC home.

No comments: