Wednesday, October 4, 2023

October 2, 2023, Brooks Robinson Memorial

On Monday, I had the privilege of being able to attend the memorial to Brooks Robinson that was open to the public at Camden Yards.  I was able to take off of work and be in Baltimore for the service, which was really nice.
There were a bunch of former Orioles, Hall of Famers, current Orioles and fans there to remember Brooks.  Boog Powell was the last former player to speak, saying "I'm not good at saying goodbyes so I'll see you on the field again someday.  I love you, my friend. I miss you."
The speakers (seated, with Boog at the podium) were, from left: Jim Kaat, Joe Torre, Cal Ripken, Brooks David Robinson, Boog Powell, Scott Garceau, Eddie Murray and Doug Decinces.  Brooks's grandchildren, Brooks and Grant Farley also spoke.
Cal gave an emotional speech, breaking down and crying when he got to the end while saying how much he would miss Brooks.
Eddie Murray also gave a really good speech.  This was the most I've ever heard Eddie talk, and there were some really good stories.  One about how he and Brooks's daughter Diana bonded over video games and picked her up from her house to go to the video arcade and play games (and apparently when she neglected to tell her dad that the then 21-year old was coming to pick up the much younger Diana to go out).  It was a very funny story told by Murray.

Given the circumstances, I don't want to say that I enjoyed the event, but I was glad I was able to be there.  The weather was beautiful. Tears were shed.  Scott Garceau put it well "I'm sure we are all here for the same reason, we all love Brooks Robinson."

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Sad to hear about Brooks... but happy you were able to attend his memorial.