Monday, August 21, 2023

August 20, 2023, Graphing of Hot Rods at Grasshoppers

Yesterday, Chris and I went to Greensboro to catch the Bowling Green Hot Rods at Grasshoppers.  I wanted to try to graph Termarr Johnson since he had been brought up to Greensboro.  We were supposed to meet up with a friend at the game, but our friend's plans changed at the last minute. 
We were able to get Johnson on 4 cards. I had a bunch of Greensboro stuff to get done for my friend, Gerard, and got everyone except for Tres Gonzalez.  He ignored both times he walked by.  Still, it was a very successful day.
It looks like my marker is on the way out, so I'll have to try to replace it over the next couple of days.  I prefer the Michaels Artosts Loft markers, but Michaels has been sold out evert time I've gone by there this summer.  There is a big difference between the marker I used and the Sharpie Chris had yesterday.  My hope was that the difference was due to excess powder on Gerard's cards, but when I looked back at my High Point stuff from the day before, I could see that the marker was starting to die off.
I switched up for post game and my Brock Jones turned out fine.  I've always got a backup marker, so I should be ok, but that'll leave me without the backup, of course.
I was really glad to finally get these two Jeff Hakanson cards signed.  I missed him the two times I saw Charleston this season, then he was called up to Bowling Green.  They're now done, so I have them in the album now.
The two Chandler Simpson cards are some that I found at the National; then he was moved to Bowling Green. I was glad to go ahead and get them signed, as well.  Willy Vasquez was tough.  He grabbed the black Sharpie that belonged to the guy next to me, signed my card with it (no big deal), but then looked right at Chris and skipped him.  Chris would walk up to him outside post game on the sidewalk and ask again. Vasquez told him "No, leave" so Chris walked away. Then Vasquez left.  Had I known that he had said that right away, I'd have told Chris to just give him the card and walk away. I don't normally like to do stuff like that when someone refuses to sign, but when someone is rude to my kid, I don't need to keep your unsigned card hoping you'll sign at a later time. This was coupled with us asking JJ Goss if he would sign.  He said "I'll put my stuff down and come back."  He never did.  So, all of Goss's stuff will either be put back in the mail to Gerard or will be dumped into a box.  I won't bother him again.

Other than the disappointment from both of those guys, we had a great time.  The weekend was filled with great weather, two really good games and a lot of graphing.  I also spent time with my family while we were out that way.  With school starting back soon, this may have been the last weekend I will have available graph with Chris.  I feel like we made it a good one.

In all, we got the following autographs: Jase Bowen x 3, Bubba Chandler x 6, Maikol Escotto x 5, Thomas Harrington x 2, Termarr Johnson x 4, Sammy Siani x 6, Jeff Hakanson x 2, Brock Jones x 1, Chandler Simpson x 2 and Willy Vasquez x 1 (32 total autographs).

No comments: